United Christian Parish Preschool serves children and families in the Reston community as part of our local ministry. Operating continually since 1975, the UCP Preschool serves the needs of children that are 2 to 5 years of age. Accredited by the National Association of Education for Young Children (NAEYC), the Preschool operates during the regular school year, providing half-day morning classes.
Philosophy and Goals
The Preschool provides a loving Christian atmosphere where all children share a variety of age-appropriate experiences and learn to play and work with others. Our goals include:
- Social Development: Children learn the actions and language needed to interact positively with other children and adults in group settings.
- Emotional Development: Children learn to express feelings through words, art and play activities. Teachers strive to increase each child’s confidence in abilities and enhance self-esteem.
- Physical Development: Children are provided opportunities to increase large and small motor skills through many different activities.
- Cognitive Development: Love of learning is promoted. Teachers provide a literacy rich environment where children are building a foundation for learning to read and write. Children learn to make choices in activities, to explore and to solve problems in their play. Teachers provide experiences for each child that will be challenging, but not frustrating.
- Spiritual Development: Children learn to appreciate God’s creation, know God’s love, and recognize everyone as children of God.
Our Preschool is accredited by the NAEYC, which is dedicated to improving the well-being of young children, with particular focus on the quality of educational and developmental services for children. Since 1985, NAEYC's national, voluntary accreditation system has set professional standards for early childhood education programs, and helped families identify high-quality programs for their young children. Please go to the NAEYC Website and view the Utube video.
Preschool Director Jane Plum has both training and practical experience in early childhood education. The Assistant Director is Marilyn Reynolds and Administrative Assistants are Tracie Lambakis and Julie Cornette.
Teachers and assistants meet specific educational requirements and are dedicated to the nurturing and development of all the children. All personnel participate in continuing education opportunities and work together closely to maintain the high standards of the Preschool.
View editions of our newsletters on-line at United Christian Parish Preschool Newsletter Archive.
The direct Preschool phone number is 703-437-1127. Or, contact Director, Jane Plum, via email at any time.
Office Hours for the Preschool are:
- during the school year -- 9:00a-2:00p Monday-Thursday, 9:00a-12:00p on Friday
- during the summer -- 9:30a-12:00p on Wednesday
The Preschool is located at 11508 North Shore Drive in Reston.