To guide choice of activities and schedules, room arrangement, adult-child interactions and assessment, the Preschool uses The Creative Curriculum®. For more information see www.teachingstrategies.com. A complete list of the goals of the curriculum is given to prospective parents when they tour.
A typical session at the Preschool consists of a variety of activities:
- Free choice time with activity centers including blocks, art, dramatic play, manipulatives, books, media table
- Alternating quiet and active periods
- Creative art and music activities
- Circle time for books and sharing
- Outdoor play and active play indoors in inclement weather
- Monthly Chapel experience
- Music class twice a month
Nutritious snacks are provided during each session. Additionally, children may be enrolled in the optional Lunch Bunch, where they spend an extra hour sharing in a mid-day meal and playing.
Parental participation is welcome!
Preschool teachers work closely with Child Find staff to meet children’s needs.
The schedule of events for the 2016-17 Calendar is contained in a downloadable PDF file for easy reference.
Preschool policy for school closings:
- When Fairfax County Public Schools close for the day, United Christian Parish Preschool is also closed.
- When Fairfax County Public Schools open two hours late, United Christian Parish Preschool opens two hours late, and classes end one hour later than usual. Lunch bunch will end at 2:15.
Listen to the news, watch Channel 21 or check the Fairfax County Public School
website for school closing news. Ignore what FCPS announces about "preschool," as that refers to the preschool programs housed in FCPS building and not United Christian Parish Preschool.
In order to keep up with Fairfax County changes, please visit the Fairfax County Public School website and sign up for Keep in Touch . This system sends you e-mails and/or text messages when the county school system makes weather related or other emergency changes.